Uncategorized

Announcing TEDAfrica 2008!

Posted by: Tedstaff

Chris Anderson and Emeka Okafor write:

531509225_8e08b82487.jpgWe’re delighted to tell you that there will be another TED conference in Africa next year, and that we hope to make it an annual event on the continent!

TEDAfrica will be held in Cape Town, South Africa, September 29-October 1, 2008 (save the date!), and will follow the format of this year’s TEDGlobal conference in Arusha, Tanzania.

The conference will be organized by a wonderful local team, including TED Fellow Kelo Kubu, and the conference will be operated out of a new South Africa-based nonprofit organization devoted to promoting a better future for the continent, the TEDAfrica Foundation. TED will be supporting the foundation both financially and logistically, to help ensure that the event maintains and builds on the quality and success of the Arusha event.

We hope to see you in Cape Town!

And team member Kelo Kubu writes:

It has been an honor and a privilege to be part of the TEDAfrica process . The team is naturally excited to be hosting TEDAfrica 2008, and we look forward to the challenge of generating the usual TED cocktail of inspiration and magic. The task is undoubtedly a daunting one, but Africa provides the perfect platform and Cape Town the ideal location for yet another memorable event.

We look forward to welcoming the world to the southernmost tip of Africa to share, spread and nurture groundbreaking ideas that could open new possibilities to growth and prosperity on the continent.

Photo of Chris Anderson and Emeka Okafor onstage at TEDGlobal 2007 courtesy Soyapi Mumba/flickr

• Fleur Brown commented on Feb 2 2008

This organistion is absolutely worth checking out if you still have an open speakers list: http://www.elephantpepper.org – and http://www.elephantpepper.com

The Elephant Pepper Development Trust preserve Africa’s threatened elephant population by promoting effective farming techniques that also improve crop security for rural communities in Africa.

• Jeff Green commented on Jan 31 2008

If you haven’t booked the speakers yet could I request Dora Akunyili Director General of Nigeria’s National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)

• Bill BRE commented on Jan 15 2008

Massive! And I thought that the TEDGlobal 2007 Conference at Arusha, Tanzania was a once in a lifetime opportunity. This is great news Chris and Emeka. You need to publish information about the TEDAfrica 2008 Conference registration requirements and deadlines ASAP.

• Tim France commented on Dec 1 2007

That’s greta news. Sorry if I am being dim, but where can we find information about registering for TED-Africa 2008?

I am on the Advisory Group of Health & Development Networks and it would be great if one of their African team members could be there.

• Maximillian Kaizen commented on Nov 29 2007

:-D congratulations Kelo – so looking forward to the second TEDAfrica inspiring uplifting and challenging thoughtful change.

• TEDBlog Reader commented on Nov 27 2007

I’m also looking forward to this event tremendously! Can’t wait to book my tickets. Cape Town is a great venue, and being from Cape Town myself, I’d love to get involved in the organising of TEDAfrica 2008. Where do I sign up?

• TEDBlog Reader commented on Nov 28 2007

• Ramon Thomas commented on Nov 26 2007

You can count on the support of myself and other TED Fellows from South Africa to help make this event in Cape Town happen.