Uncategorized

TED curator Chris Anderson interviewed on Charlie Rose

Posted by: Tedstaff

Charlie Rose interviews TED’s curator, Chris Anderson, on his show set to air tonight, February 18. The Charlie Rose Show will be broadcast on PBS affiliates throughout the country; check local listings. (In New York, the show plays at 11 pm on Channel 13.)

Update: Click here for video of the show >>

And here’s the book Chris mentioned during the conversation: Jonathan Haidt’s The Happiness Hypothesis.

• Barry Friedman commented on Feb 27 2008

Nice job, Chris. I just want to note that this interview lasted exactly 17:59. The irony is *not* lost on me.

• Irene Grumman commented on Feb 19 2008

I learned about TED from this Charlie Rose show and joined a few minutes ago. It didn’t hurt that the name Chris Anderson is shared by the editor of WIRED magazine and author of “The Long Tail,” book and blog. The “future now” reporting on technology and culture segues with the themes of TED as I understood them on first pass.
    Supporting the previous comment, by John Gelles, FINDABILITY becomes even more important when the TED subjects break new ground and defy current classifications.
    Good work, so glad to know you’re there.

• John Gelles commented on Feb 19 2008

The idea that Technology, Entertainment and Design are fundamentally connected to spread knowledge and its fruits to perhaps the widest possible audience excited Charlie Rose– and Charlie spread that excitement around.

Rose discussed TED and also MIT (with its president) and federal funding of basic research with the head of America’s National Science Foundation. Chris Anderson introduced a clip from the talk on TED on an Encyclopedia of Life.

The EoL made me think of TED as an encyclopedia of “what to do and how to do it” (to achieve a better tomorrow).

The president of MIT, the Curator of TED, and the head of the NSF all contributed tacitly to an unstated need for “the Encyclopedia of ‘how to pay’ for that better tomorrow”.

Yet none saw this explicitly as a missing TED project–and IT IS ONE!

All seem to assume money to support a better tomorrow will be forthcoming from a money system similar to the one we struggle with today.

It won’t and it can’t!

Today’s system of venture capital, going public, stock options, one generation of chips financing the next generation, etc., creates PEANUTS compared to WW II type financing that created the arsenal of democracy and saved the world from itself.

An Encyclopedia of “how to pay for giant projects for defense and security, a safe sufficiency of energy, food, water, homes, training and scholarship, clinics, etc.,etc., must recognize that government spending must be far larger than we can expect to recover with taxes. Government spending must be high enough to buy the labor and resources we need to fix or provide all that is missing, broken and obsolete.

To do this without taxes or hyperinflation will require very high private savings, increased productivity, full employment of all possible capital and labor, and a view of economics as a goal directed enterprise not just a collection of mental habits that no longer deliver the goods.

• Jason Cha commented on Feb 19 2008

I’ve been a huge, huge fan of TED for quite some time and, in reaction to Chris’ comments on the show tonight, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has seen day turn into night while listening to speaker after speaker for hours on end. That being said, one thing that did occur to me while watching tonight’s interview is how challenging it is to convey all that TED is about to people who haven’t spent those delciously addictive hours on the site (BTW, was it a mere coincidence that the Charlie Rose interview lasted roughly 18 minutes?). To that end, when I saw the title of “Curator” flash on the TV screen tonight, it made me think about how TED is like a “museum of ideas” — except that it is more alive, dynamic and social than your average museum. And instead of exhibiting human artifacts, it exhibits human displays of intelligence, creativity and inspiration. It’s not the perfect analogy but, like all things TED, it did spark a new way for me to think about things. Anyway, keep up the excellent work and one day I hope to join the community in person! Cheers!

• Michael Huber commented on Feb 18 2008

Charlie Rose often brings very interesting thinkers into my living room. Tonight’s interview with Chris Anderson kept me riveted to the screen. I’m paid to be skeptical — I work in a newsroom — but the genuine desire to inform and enlighten and to bring smart thought to a mainstream audience makes me think Anderson is onto something. “How dare we be optimistic,” he said. Happy to have found this site. Good luck with your ambition.