TEDGlobal2009

TEDGlobal Day 1: Quotes of the Day

Posted by: June Cohen

audience_shot_global.jpg

“Imagine if we could combine the power of a global ethic with our new power to communicate and organize globally.” - UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown

“Next time you see someone in a Ferrari, don’t think: ‘They’re greedy.” Think: “This is someone incredibly vulnerable and in need of love.” - Alain De Botton, on the challenge of modern society, in which we — and others — measure our worth by what we “do” and what we own

“I thought it might be helpful to cut five years from retirement and intersperse them in my working years.” - Designer Stefan Sagmeister on taking sabbaticals every seven years

“You wouldn’t expect a black hole to be a kind neighbor to a stellar nursery.” - Astronomer Andrea Ghez on the curious fact that the stars closest to super-massive black holes appear to be relatively young, in contradiction to what she predicted

“What we call intellectual inquiry is often the pursuit of the abstract over the real and tangible.” - Comedian Stephen Fry on the need to combine intellect and passion in all our pursuits

“I have to be careful I don’t inhale my work. That’s happened to me.” - Willard Wigan on manipulating the tiny shards of glass and shreds of fiber from which he creates sculptures so small they fit in the eye of a needle

“I have a global vision for vision: To get 1 billion people wearing the eyeglasses they need by the year 2020.” - Josh Silver on the roll-out plan for his low-cost, adjustable eyeglasses

“Great music and art are just moments in time. But we can use them to bring people together.” - Mark Johnson, producer of “Playing for Change,” videos of musicians around the world, playing a single song

“I’d like to tell you about the greatest stunt on earth: a parachute jump from space” - stuntman Steve Truglia

• maxo rally commented on Jul 21 2009

Some amazing quotes some true and some not so good looks a great event wish i could go! maybe 2010

• Aaron Fowkes commented on Jul 21 2009

Just want to point out a small misspelling of ‘Stephen Frye’. It should be ‘Stephen Fry’. Other than that, I am interested to see the talks on the website soon.

• Alan Carnegie commented on Jul 21 2009

Hey, look at that poor soul in the Ferrari in front of Boots….I’m going to light a candle for him……he looks like he’s in need of a sabbatical…..wait, it’s not a man, but a woman—darn these glasses…..

• Helena Bulaja commented on Jul 21 2009

I was wandering is it appropriate at all to see any Prime Minister today at TED – a meeting that proclaimed it self to be inspiring creative and visionary and to help to all of us to make a Earth to be a better place? And specially I am disappointed that the Quote of the Day you picked is by him?…It is a nice quote but unfortunately I didn’t really believe it comes from the heart….and I didn’t find his speech inspiring and specially not creative or visionary….

I am sorry but this was my first experience with TED and right from the start truly disappointing….

I wish you best for the rest of this week, and I hope soon the world will become better place and we will all realize that creativity can’t be valued by money….and that the worst industries that human kind invented ever motivated by greed and abusing human extreme creative power is Marketing ….. driven by money without any ethical senses, presuading people to consume what they don’t need…..

• Barbara Singleterry commented on Jul 21 2009

Creativity has always been valued by money. The great artworks of the Italian Renaissance were commissioned by the Pope and Medicis along with other wealthy patrons. It is only the leisure created by wealth that allows us to promote creative and artistic endeavors. If we were working at a subsistence level we would not have the time nor energy to be artistic and creative.

As far as having a Prime Minister at TED, I thought that all forms of provocative topics are encouraged and allowed. One does not need to agree with the viewpoint in order to contemplate the ideas presented. Even politicians can be visionary at times.