Education

TED and Reddit ask Sir Ken Robinson absolutely anything!

Posted by: Matthew Trost

sir-ken-interview.png

TED and Reddit are teaming up to give you the opportunity to ask creativity expert Sir Ken Robinson absolutely anything! Sir Ken, whose 2006 talk on rethinking education remains one of the most-watched in the TEDTalks series, has agreed to answer the TED and Reddit communities’ questions on any topic. If you have a burning question you’d like Sir Ken to answer, please follow these steps:

1. Join Reddit (click “register” at top right)

2. Post your question in Reddit’s comments

3. Take a moment to upvote the questions you like most

Sir Ken will answer the 10 most-upvoted comments as of Monday, August 10th, 7pm Eastern time. We’ll post his responses here on the TED Blog the following day!

Watch Sir Ken’s TEDTalk here:

About Sir Ken Robinson
Sir Ken is a creativity expert. He challenges the way we’re educating our children, and champions a radical rethinking of our school systems to better cultivate creativity and acknowledge multiple types of intelligence. His latest book, The Element, looks at how we find our creative passion.

About TED and Reddit
TED and Reddit’s relationship started not long after TEDTalks began appearing on Reddit’s front page. TED is currently a featured channel on the newly-launched RedditTV. And this joint “Ask Anything” feature is only the first of many!

More: See what happened when TED asked Gever Tulley, Philip Zimbardo and Seth Godin absolutely anything.

• Ed Parr commented on Aug 9 2012

How does one find his/her own Element? I’ve got the answer: If you’re interested, I’ve created a HOW TO roadmap for people who want to Find Their Own Element. It’s provided in my whitepaper ‘Your APTITUDES…the Fingerprints of Your DESTINY!’ Please email me at (nbmworld@peoplepc.com) for a FREE PDF or visit my BOX folder (http://www.box.com/s/6jlkli6g3iy4pklnhj0o) to download it FREE. READ the ENTIRE article! I promise you won’t be disappointed. Cheers, Ed

• Pingback: Seth Godin is an Author Speaker Coach and Seminar Leader | Authors, Speakers, Coaches, Seminar Leaders +

• flu in commented on Aug 10 2009

It is not that easy to find my own creative innovation but we need to look for it until we finally discover how it should be.

• ruby james commented on Aug 8 2009

• Mark Curcher commented on Aug 7 2009

Sir Ken

I am an educator who has worked in secondary (high) schools, further and higher education working in the UK and Middle East. I share your concerns about the systems of education around the world and the affect they have on young minds and creativity and innovation, something that has been heightened since having my own children.

How can I, as a lone individual teacher, constrained by curriculum, a focus on results and tables and a whole host of stake holders apart from the students themselves – really make a difference that matters and change things ?

As a parent I am tempted to home school my daughter – but what else can we do to keep the wonderful curiosity, imagination and creativity that she now displays as a two 1/2 year old?

Loved both your books – thank you.
    Mark Curcher
    Dubai
    UAE

• Dale Williams commented on Aug 6 2009

Hello Ken

How did you discover your passion in life and the source of your own creativity?

All the best

Dale
    Cape Town

• Mauro Rego commented on Aug 6 2009

Dear Sir Ken Robinson we all agree that changes in education is the most powerfull weapon against the poverty in the third world, however, motivate students in this propose is really hard for 3 reasons that I’ve observed:
    1- The student wont will enjoy the benefits of the changes that he has fought for, it will just afect the next generation.
    2- There are so many “education provider” that it is “impossible” change the society just changing the school or university.
    3 – Change the education it is not an objective that you can really achieve, it is a process. The sense of “ideal” changes as the culture evolves.

So, how do you think is possible to motivate more people in this mission?

Best regards

Thanks

• precious Mohd. commented on Aug 6 2009

Dear Sir Ken. I loved your talk on TED. I have one question. What do you think about the standardized tests like GMAT or SAT? Does it play any important role in GETTING into a school? Thank You .

• lisa lomba commented on Aug 6 2009

Here’s my question–no time to register with Reddit right now. I’m in a doctoral program in educational leadership and find that American public education system is in triage mode about the basics (language and math skills defined by NCLB policies) that even getting to the creativity or re-imagination of education seems impossible. How could public school administrators and policymakers engage your important perspective? What are three things you would call the American public education system to start with?

• Marci Segal commented on Aug 6 2009

Dear Sir Ken – we met in Toronto at the Outward Bound presentation. I am eager to reconnect with you in support of World Creativity and Innovation Week April 15 – 21.

What three things would you suggest we emphasize in order to engage everyone on the planet in a truly human celebration – not restricted by geography, politics, age, race, gender, ethnicity and so on.

How might we encourage people in schools to use World Creativity and Innovation Week April 15 – 21 to the benefit of their students, staff and curriculum?

What might you suggest that would help motivate people to own their capacity to use knowledge, imagination and to make new decisions, and in so doing affirm their creative potential? Yes that’s a big question, so here’s a smaller one – what might we do for World Creativity and Innovation Week April 15 – 21 to set them on this path?

Thanks so much for making yourself available.

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Best regards
    Marci

• Andreas Kyriacou commented on Aug 6 2009

Ok, I have a question: What exactly are those three letters before Ken Robinson’s name good for?

• Niall Grant commented on Aug 7 2009

They are to show he has made an outstanding contribution to society in his field – he has actually done something worthwhile unlike some who would rather just sit online and try to discredit others. :-)

• Andreas Kyriacou commented on Aug 7 2009

Hm, I link Ken Robinson’s outstanding contributions to his name, his PhD, his Athena award or his Ambassador role for the European Year of Creativity and Innovation, but not to the fact that some watery tart once deliberately hit him with a sword.

• Jeremy Boucher commented on Aug 10 2009

My understanding of the British Honours system is that people are proposed to the Cabinet Office by their peers, or anyone else who cares enough, based on their contribution to their field/society/etc. So rather than being the arbitrary choice of a Monty Python character, a Knighthood/CBE/MBE/OBE is an indication of broader respect for the recipient.