TEDIndia

The Buzz: Sunitha Krishnan on the human face of human trafficking

Posted by: Jenny Zurawell

SunithaKrishnan_11842_D71_8565%29fl.jpg

Sunitha Krishnan shared heartbreaking stories about some of the 3,200+ girls she has rescued from Indian brothels with her organization Prajwala. Through education, rehabilitation, and job training, she helps to restore hope and dignity to victims, and she encourages us to empathize with and accept trafficking victims as human beings. The Facebook and Twitter audiences were profoundly impacted:

Sunitha Krishnan: a modern day HERO who rescues kids from sexual slavery / human trafficking. – kokoe2

Sunitha Krishnan an anti-trafficking activist is amazing. Her stories are heart wrenching – tanzeemc

Sunitha Krishnan: We as a civil society victimize victims – stigmatize victims of rape and sexual slavery – infosys

Standing ovation for Sunitha Krishnan. WOW WOW WOW! — TEDxShekhawati

Incredibly moved. Make a note now to view Sunitha Krishnan’s #TEDIndia talk on human trafficking as soon as it goes online. – kn0thing

Hearing a lot of people struggling not to cry after Sunitha Krishnan’s talk on human trafficking – eneylon

Alright 100k dollars raised from the Ted audience for Sunita Krishnans Ngo which works with Human Trafficiking…wow – sudhirsyal

Photo: TED / James Duncan Davidson

• pooja cs commented on Apr 19 2012

Dr.sunitha krishnan, you are a hero for me . i havn’t seen anything like this before ,you inspire me a lot and im just not saying this , i will be a part of this will spread it among my friends and family and will surely accept themand help such victims to live in a peacefull environment. love your courage and enthsiasm. love your work , keep going :)

• Vijay Alagar commented on Jul 8 2011

Just now watched Dr.Sunita Krishnan’s video in TED website. Much inspired and it added fuel to my fire to do something for the society, esp for the trafficked children and rehabilitating the abused women. I hope I can do something for this!

• Nikhil Harindranath commented on Jun 23 2011

Here is a small piece I have written about TED and Dr. Krishnan on my blog. Please do check. http://whendasungoesdown.blogspot.com/2011/06/prajwala-eternal-flame.html

• vaishnavi Grudanti commented on Dec 8 2009

I have joined TED today just to talk few good words about her , Great women with lot of courage .
    she is amazing ! incredible work . I wish the media brings proper awarness to ever one about Prajwala .

• vaishnavi Grudanti commented on Dec 8 2009

• vaishnavi Grudanti commented on Dec 8 2009

• Arek Stryjski commented on Nov 6 2009

I’m very sorry to posting it here, but I don’t see any other way to let TED know about it. I’m sure this presentation is very important, and I really would like to watch it.

I think all Twitter posts here are misunderstanding of 2 separate information channels.
    I’m using both. I get information about new video by RSS. When I like to hear what people are saying about live events I go to Twitter.

I believe this is the way people use this two separate information channels. It is user choice to use RSS and/or Twitter at any time.

Of course it is great to inform users about things like TED India by RSS. It will be also great if you will remind Twitter users how to get latest live news about each presentation by Twitter.
    However sending 10 Twitter copy&paste news in RSS is just a spam.

Maybe I’m missing something. If this is a case, please let me know what I can do with this 10 posts. However I feel it is spamming, and you harm online users, seekers and TED reputation this way.

• Nivash Kumar commented on Nov 6 2009

This is not the kind of TED talk that I’ve seen before or expected. She just made all of us realize the ground reality in trafficking. She made it a point that touched me, which is don’t just look at my photo and admire the work I do, that’s not what she wants. Its a call for participation whole-heartedly, accept the victims as one of our own fellow humans.