TED2010

Jamie Oliver's TED Prize wish: Educate every child about food

Posted by: Emily McManus

TED2010_D1_04751_1280

From the TED Prize session: Jamie Oliver has announced his TED Prize wish.

THE WISH:
“I wish for your help to create a strong, sustainable movement to educate every child about food, inspire families to cook again and empower people everywhere to fight obesity.”

THE PLAN:
Set up an organization to create a popular movement that will inspire people to change the way they eat. The movement will do this by establishing a network of community kitchens; launching a travelling food theater that will teach kids practical food and cooking skills in an entertaining way and provide basic training for parents and professionals; and bringing millions of people together through an online community to drive the fight against obesity. The grassroots movement must also challenge corporate America to support meaningful programs that will change the culture of junk food.

THE NEEDS:
Help to establish the organization, with funding, office space and facilities.

Find partners to equip and run the community kitchens, and food suppliers to provide the fresh ingredients.

A partner to build and maintain a fleet of food theatre trucks.

Education experts, graphic designers, artists and writers to develop and produce creative, fun teaching materials.

Communications experts to create messaging for the movement.

Web designers and developers to create and build the website.

Establish a food range that generates a sustainable income for the movement.

Corporate partners to invest in cooking and food education for their customers and champion honest food labelling.

Photo: TED / James Duncan Davidson

• Pingback: Enlisting Technology to Fight Obesity | Technology News

• Pingback: Michael Segal: Enlisting Technology to Fight Obesity - Health Medicine Network

• Pingback: Synergy 8: the wish, the plan, the needs… | Experiments in Learning by Doing

• Pingback: Connecting Ideas – Action, Traction, Reaction « It's About Learning

• Pingback: Connecting Ideas – Action, Traction, Reaction | Experiments in Learning by Doing

• dave broughton commented on Apr 28 2010

This is a lame idea. Why don’t we see to it that every child has plenty to eat first? Even in America, there are many children without enough to eat, not to mention the rest of the world. Many children, and adults too, have to eat whatever they can afford, find, or beg, Frankly, I think worrying about obesity when children in the world are starving is a big waste of time and resources. You want skinny kids, let them go out to play, don’t bog them down with tons of homework. The money would be better spent making safe places for children to play. This is all bogus rhetoric to build yourself up, not a realistic way to solve a problem.

• Hans Langen commented on Feb 11 2010

I just went to sign the petition of Jamie, and found out that I cant. It’s limited to the USA.

I thought TED’s ideas are worth spreading not worth limiting …

• Tony Brower commented on Feb 11 2010

Although I wish every success and more to Jamie Oliver, and he will undoubtedly have some success in a limited way, there’s simply too much stacked against a fundamental change of the current diet / lifestyle.

Think of all the money and investment in the current system of food and agriculture (and health-care). Billions?

Think of the profit generated by the system the way it is now.

With vast sums of money at stake, and politics thoroughly corrupted by influence and money, how in the world can anything change? Is there a move to take away influence of lobbyists with a lot of money to hand out? Quite the opposite.

America, the experience, is primarily about fun and money. It’s what we aspire to and it’s why others are drawn to us.

If you can make diet / lifestyle easier and more enjoyable for the majority of people AND increase profits for the those currently invested in the system, there’s hope. Of course, the benefits must be almost immediate and the profits, too

• Ursula Fugger commented on Feb 11 2010

I think his wish is totally possible. My sense is that anything is possible. Look at what Alice Waters has been able to accomplish. Michael Pollan. Frances Lappe Moore.

I have been a fan of Jamie Oliver for a long time, and he’s plowing along with his ideas, putting himself in a place to make this wish, which is truly what he stands for – a vision to be realized.

IAs a chef in a small town outside of Toronto Cananda, I am watching with great interest how this develops. I’m on the bus, for sure – I have been railing against the industrial food game for as long as I can remember, and I am behind this guy. Time to take the dinner plates back to the kitchen, and out of the (food) factories! Congrats to Jamie!

• Stephen Raymond commented on Feb 11 2010

Jamie – let us know if we can help. @growinggreat is delivering nutrition education to grade schools in LA via a network of trained volunteers. We work with food manufacturers to distribute healthy food. I am @steveray

• D Byron commented on Feb 11 2010

One thing that would clearly help would be to ban all junk food advertising. Do you think there’s sufficient political will right now to get that done?

• Vesselina Dobrinova commented on Feb 11 2010

I am disappointed you’ve limited the wish to the USA… I hope you have a good reason…

• Ben Lile commented on Feb 11 2010

I’d love to help combine my multiple backgrounds to help in any way I can. I have a background in cooking (2 years cooking school), teaching middle school for 6 years, teaching special needs children for 1 year, and now I design user experiences for childrens video games. Let me know how I can help.

Ben
    benlile@gmail.com

• Steve Jennings commented on Feb 10 2010

Jamie, great TED Talk, congrats for receiving the TED prize. I can help you execute and implement; THE WISH, PLAN, NEEDS. I’m easy to contact @zyozyfounder

• Steve Jennings commented on Feb 10 2010

• Steve Jennings commented on Feb 10 2010

• tiffany mura commented on Feb 10 2010

Jamie – Please contact me directly about this as I and two partners have created a business plan for a business that is very close to what you have outlined above. We are in the process of building a prototype of it. tiffanymura@gmail.com

• Geraldine L. commented on Feb 10 2010

Good job – let’s go back to basics!!
    This will have a considerable effect in the future.