TED2010

What the world needs now: The TEDActive music video

Posted by: Shanna Carpenter

When the John Lennon bus drove up to TEDActive, attendees got the chance to collaborate on a music video to share their ideas for what the world needs now.

Jill Sobule, John Doe, Sara Watkins, Stuart Johnson, Don Was, Dave Way, Krish Sharma and the amazing team on the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus came together to write, perform and produce an original song, on-site during the conference. Aaron Koblin directed the video, and the TEDActive community turned their ideas into illustrations, with a little help from artist Jansen Yee.

• sam milner commented on Mar 9 2010

I hope that everything is that simple. Sad to say we are living in a very dangerous place. Is ther still hope yet? I hope. What does the world need now…really?

• sam milner commented on Mar 9 2010

• Fazl? Fatih Melemez commented on Feb 28 2010

Congradulations! That’s pretty nice work, hope it continues in anyway

• Greg Allen Morgoglione commented on Feb 28 2010

I’m pretty certain I am an alien.

Am I the only one who wonders why these people are riding around on a bus making videos about What the World Needs Now, yet the idea that the world needs more people riding around on buses making videos about what Others should be/do is not mentioned? It’s like Utopia singing folk mu…sicians singing about what Others should be/do while they are busy not being/doing it.

I’m just askin’

Greg

• Greg Allen Morgoglione commented on Feb 28 2010

I’m pretty certain I am an alien.

I’m just askin’

Greg

• Anwer Ali commented on Feb 27 2010

Nicely done So Simple So Effective!

• Dorothy Lawson commented on Feb 27 2010

This is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!! ETHEL loves these musicians – especially the lovely Jill Sobule, who we met in Monterey in 2006 – and the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus!! We missed working with them at this conference, but what this team came up with is BRILLIANT. Congratulations, and once again, YAY, TED!!!

• Andrea Barthello commented on Feb 26 2010

I love this so much – am going to listen/watch every week – thank you!!!

• Hilary Goldsmith commented on Feb 26 2010

Took me straight back to Palm Springs in just 4 minutes. I love you for including my drawing, and redrawing it so it looks great, and not embarrassingly rubbish.

• Colleen Steen commented on Feb 26 2010

YES! DELIGHTFUL! BE HERE NOW!!!

• Andrea Kates commented on Feb 26 2010

An upbeat, mini vacation. Should be required watching for any moment when you need to reboot. Great change of pace “insert-able” for staff meetings. Kudos to everyone who contributed.

• Stephanie Tobor commented on Feb 26 2010

thank you so much for sharing, tedactive! i’m only sorry we didn’t get to appreciate you while at ted long beach. here’s my standing o!
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• hemalatha kannan commented on Feb 26 2010

The song is mind blowing and we should know about the things we missed

• John Griffin commented on Feb 26 2010

Awesome video! The link to the higher res download is broken though…

• Eduardo Salcedo-Albarán commented on Feb 25 2010

Congratulations, you Active TEDsters. The video is amazing. We need to spread those ideas!

• Tami Wells commented on Feb 25 2010

This video is brilliant! Now, the trick is to get more people to live it! Good job “Tedsters”!

How about one for Ocean Education…see Craig Strang at U.C. Berkeley…Ocean Literacy pioneer or Dee at Monterey Bay Aquarium.

And one for urban and sustainable gardens…Ted Caplow…SunWorks of New York.

• Linda Ashworth commented on Feb 25 2010

Great job everybody! Who know we could really draw!

• WOONGSHIK CHOI commented on Feb 25 2010

Love it. It reminds me TEDActive2010 again!

• Scott Watson commented on Feb 25 2010

And here’s the song performed live at the TEDActive party at Desert Adventures Ranch!

(recorded on a Nexus One for good or ill!)

• Mihail Stoychev commented on Feb 25 2010

I am so happy I took part in this. it such a pity, however, that it wasn’t fitted on the schedule. However, it is nice that it’s made available, so that you guys know what you’ve missed :)