Language Open Translation Project

Meet Michele Gianella, TED volunteer translator

Posted by: Jenny Zurawell

michele_3.jpg

Tell us about yourself.

I live and work near Milan, Italy. As far as I remember, I’ve always been attracted by unconventional things like free software, green energy, fair trade, and in the last few years I became increasingly interested in the future of technology and its impact on the human condition.

michele_1.jpg

What drew you to TED?

During the fall of 2006, I happened to read The Singularity is Near, by Ray Kurzweil. Page after page, this book impressed me so much that when The Singularity Institute launched their website, I immediately visited it. TED.com was mentioned as a favorite blog. “Ideas worth spreading … it seems interesting,” I thought. “Let’s browse it a little!” And so the story began!

michele_2.jpg

Why do you translate?

No matter how many foreign languages we study, most of us primarily work, talk and do searches in our native languages. But this tends to keep us from a huge repository of knowledge, fun and emotions stored out there on the Internet, just because it’s in a different language. My effort as a TED translator is only a small contribution to change that. Realizing that a few hours of my time could give tens of millions of people better access to TED’s content was something that really motivated me to start.

Month by month, the project evolved into a highly interactive experience. Since May 2009, the very beginning of the Open Translation Project, many people have written me just to say how happy they are to see such amazing content translated in Italian. I truly feel rewarded for all of the time and hard work it takes.

michele_4.jpg

What are you favorite talks? Why?

TEDster Jay Walker says it best: “TED is all about patterns in the clouds. It’s all about connections. It’s all about seeing things that everybody else has seen before but thinking about them in ways that nobody has thought of them before.”

I completely agree, and in fact my favorite talks are the ones where this “connecting” nature of TED shows up the most. In the hands of Chris Jordan, art becomes a tool for better understanding statistics. Alternatively, a statistician like Hans Rosling swallows a sword and transforms inexpressive numbers into a movie-like animation to show how the world is changing and the seemingly impossible is possible.

In my opinion, every time TED speakers do something like this, they’re not only delighting the public with their versatile talent. They’re also increasing the chances that two people as different as an artist and a statistician watch the same video, share it and publicly discuss it. This dialogue exposes each person to the other’s worldview, and they can mutually enrich themselves. In a sense, this spreads the chemistry of physically attending TED all across the world. As long as translators’ work helps this, it’ll definitely be worthwhile.

• Paolo Lanapoppi commented on Jan 10 2012

Bravo Michele, hai un altro ammiratore! Io ho cercato di tradurre la conferenza di Antonio Damasio, ma sono arrivato tardi. Era già assegnata, magati a te! Ho fatto poco perché sono impegnatissimo a gestire il sito della sezione di Venezia di Italia Nostra. Ma conto di riprendere presto. Se vuoi dargli un’occhiata, il sito è qui: http://www.italianostra-venezia.org/
    Ciao, buon lavoro!!!!

• Ron Merlino commented on Jan 6 2012

Wow! I am so excited to have discovered TED, and you, Michele Gianella. Thank you for the work you do, and, loving animals. Is that a cat and a dog in your driveway? Bravo! My grandparents were born in Italy. Basilicata, Vietri di Potenza and Abruzzi, Taranta Peligna. I hope to visit both this year. Have been only to Rome. Be well, dear friend.

Wow! Sono così entusiasta di aver scoperto TED e voi, Michele Gianella. Grazie per il lavoro che fate e amare gli animali. Che è un gatto e un cane nel vialetto? Bravo! I miei nonni sono nati in Italia. Basilicata, Vietri di Potenza e Abruzzi, Taranta Peligna. Spero di visitare entrambi quest’anno. Sono stati solo a Roma. Essere bene, caro amico. No, I do not. Translated by Bing.

• Michele Gianella commented on Jan 11 2012

Welcome among the TEDsters Ron, and thanks for appreciating!
      I actually live in Milan, in the north of Italy (and that was a dog, actually :) If you happen to travel here (best periods: April – July, September- October), feel free to contact me. Cheers!

• Michele Gianella commented on Nov 14 2010

Ciao e grazie!
    Per contattare un TEDster (me come chiunque altro):
    - loggati sul sito;
    - clicca su “TED Community”, in alto;
    - digita il nome della persona [per esempio Mario Rossi] nel campo “Search by name”. Se non la trovi, controlla che il nome sia scritto bene, e se sì togli la spunta alla casella “Show only members with photos”;
    - una volta trovata la persona, clicca sul suo nome;
    - una volta entrato nella sua pagina di presentazione, sopra il riquadro della foto è possibile leggere “Send [Mario Rossi] an email”. Cliccando sopra la scritta si apre una finestra dalla quale è possibile mandare messaggi, le cui risposte saranno poi leggibili all’indirizzo di posta che si è associato al proprio account TED.

Spero di essere stato chiaro :)
    A presto!

• Paolo Lanapoppi commented on Nov 11 2010

Mi è stata assegnata la revisione della tua traduzione di Seb. Seung. Vorrei mandarti una email ma non trovo il modo. Io sono a poppi@iuav.it. Coincidenza: sono un appassionato fan di Kurzweil. Ho molto apprezzato il tuo blog e la tua traduzione. Per favore spiegami come contattarti… Grazie,
    Paolo

• Michele Gianella commented on Nov 14 2010

Ciao e grazie!
      Per contattare un TEDster (me come chiunque altro):
      - loggati sul sito;
      - clicca su “TED Community”, in alto;
      - una volta trovata la persona, clicca sul suo nome;

Spero di essere stato chiaro :)
      A presto!

• cathy i commented on May 27 2010

We all have to remember that not all people in the world share the same language. Translations are very much important to spread the information and knowledge in ways that can be understood. Great job!

• Michele Gianella commented on Jul 20 2010

Thank you very much, cathy! And please excuse my late reply!

• Giorgio Ungania commented on Jul 21 2010

Grazie Michele,l Italia ha bisogno di TED oggi piu che mai.

• Michele Gianella commented on Aug 16 2010

Non potrei essere più d’accordo.
      Grazie a te, Giorgio :)

• Anour Dafa-Alla commented on May 16 2010

Great interview with a great guy…keep it up brother~

• Sebastian Betti commented on May 14 2010

“Guardare cose già viste da tutti ma in modi cui nessun altro aveva mai pensato prima”. Questo potrebbe essere forse uno dei “fattori wow” delle TEDTalks.
    Come è vero, ed ha detto Vero, penso le traduzioni sono un ottimo modo per democratizzare la conoscenza.
    Io personalmente ti ringrazio perché grazie alle tue traduzioni, ed anche alle traduzioni dei altri traduttori italiani, posso pensare l’italiano come una lingua viva, attuale e divertente. Bravo Michele!

• Michele Gianella commented on May 14 2010

> Io personalmente ti ringrazio perché grazie alle tue traduzioni, ed anche alle traduzioni dei altri traduttori italiani, posso pensare l’italiano come una lingua viva, attuale e divertente.

Mamma mia, quale onore !

Sei davvero gentilissimo, e complimenti per il tuo italiano :)
      Grazie Sebastian!!!

• Ay?e Seda Demirel commented on May 14 2010

Great answers :) Good job…
    Congrats :D

• Veronica Vera commented on May 13 2010

Congratulations for you job Michele!
    I absolutely agree with you that because of these translations millions of people have more and better access to invaluable content and perspectives; it’s a wonderful way of “democratizing” knowledge
    Great job!!!

• Michele Gianella commented on May 14 2010

> it’s a wonderful way of “democratizing” knowledge

…while receiving nice comments from all around the world :)
      Thank you, Veronica. And congratulations for your job!