Language Open Translation Project

Meet Dimitra Papageorgiou, TED volunteer translator

Posted by: Jenny Zurawell

dimitra_1.jpg

Tell us about yourself.

My name is Dimitra Papageorgiou and I was born in Athens, Greece. I have a 14-year-old daughter, Amphitrite, named after an ancient sea nymph. When my daughter was 2 years old, I got divorced, so I raised her on my own. A year ago I moved to Thessaloniki, in northern Greece.

Since I was very young, I’ve been into arts and culture. I used to spend endless hours drawing and creating crafts. It was a way for me to express my thoughts and feelings, and it’s become a useful and creative pastime for my daughter and me. I studied photography and scientific photography, and later on I became fascinated with digital image manipulation, which is what I do now.

dimitra_2.jpg

What drew you to TED?

I saw Brian Cox’s talk on the Large Hadron Collider and I was infatuated with his presentation, which was simple to understand, yet inspiring and informative. Most importantly, I could see his passion for particle physics on his face, and it was contagious. A lot of interesting talks have followed that broadened my way of thinking and at the same time entertained both me and my family.

Why do you translate?

I began translating so I could share TED’s wonderful talks with my young daughter and my family. It’s ended up being one of my favorite hobbies and has unraveled a whole new world of knowledge to me. I’ve encountered great people like Theodora Apostolopoulou — together we translated the first TEDTalks into Greek, and in the process, we became friends.

I am also a member of a Greek online community, where I now share the talks that fellow Greek translators and I have completed. We have interesting and long-lasting debates and conversations about each talk. TED give us a new excitement everyday, as we discover breakthrough technologies and admirable thinkers.

dimitra_3.jpg

What are you favorite talks? Why?

One of the talks that affected me deeply was Jill Bolte Taylor’s stroke of insight. I enjoyed both of VS Ramachandran’s talks — the neurons that shaped civilization and on your mind — as well as Barry Schwartz’s, Isabel Allende’s, Elisabeth Gilbert’s, Helen Fisher’s … I suppose the list is endless.

• KANHAIYA VERMA commented on Mar 30 2014

Hi Dimitra Papageorgiou!

I am a Burmese Translator helping Amara with TED Talks.
    I joined to Amara about 6-7 weeks ago. I was working quite hard. But, only today I could see those efforts realized. A lot of TED Talks today appeared for general public.
    I was amazed to know that you were the person who approved my Burmese titles and review jobs. Do you know Burmese?!
    In fact, I shall like to speak with someone from TED or Amara team about Burmese technical problems with our fonts.
    Thank you that at last I can see my done translation and review jobs done for people of Myanmar.
    There is a small problem with my name. I am an Indian brought up in Myanmar. I have two names Kanhaiya Verma (Indian) and Myo Aung (Burmese). Of course, I shall prefer to see in these subtitles my Burmese name – Myo Aung. But, somehow, everywhere my Indian name is printed. May be, you can help to correct that small problem.
    My regards,
    Myo Aung

• Spispi Met commented on Sep 29 2011

Ευχαριστώ!

• Onic Palandjian commented on May 26 2011

Dear Dimitra, I need your help to spread my TEDx talk!
    Greece and its people are at an all-time low. It’s labelled as the failed state of Europe. And prospects are discouraging. Young Greeks are emigrating in fear of expected anarchy. Faced with so many negatives, I share my passion for the things that matter most. Things that make me, and many other Greeks, happy in Greece. Even at this time of crisis.
    Eudaimonia is a uniquely Greek word.
    I explain what it means to me in my TEDx talk – my passport to eudaimonia (happiness+). –> http://bit.ly/iBaBCa

• niketurkiye niketr commented on Nov 25 2010

• tom letsos commented on Nov 22 2010

Hello,
    I would like to know if I can play TED Talks in public areas such as a conference room or lecture hall. No money is taken at these events but simply to educate people on a variety of topics which TED has.

• commented on Nov 11 2010

συγχαρητηρια Δημητρα…συνέχισε να μας δίνεις μεταφράσεις!!!
    σε ενα σημειο της περιγραφης σου αναφέρεις ότι είσαι μέλος μιας ελληνικής κοινοτητας που μοιράζεσαι ομιλίες του TED και τα σχολιάζεται…θα με ενδιέφερε και εμένα να γίνω μέλος
    αν θα ήθελες να μου πείς ποια είναι

Ευχαριστώ :)

• british expat commented on May 24 2010

welcome to TED Dimitra

• Fotis Samaridis commented on May 22 2010

???? ???? ?????????? ???????! ?????????? ???? ???????!

• Anour Dafa-Alla commented on May 21 2010

Dimitra, Great Interview:)… I must say, You’re Sooooooooooooo Young:D and you have a beautiful daughter…glad to know you through OTP…We’re one Volunteer translators family now:)
    Best regards and greetings to your daughter .

• Dimitra Papageorgiou commented on May 22 2010

Thanks Anour! It is so nice to be a part of this worldwide project! Greetings!

• Justin Goldner commented on May 20 2010

????????? ?? ???????! ??? ????? ??????? ???? ?’ ?????? ? ???????? ?????? ??? ???? ??????? ??? ??? ??????????? ??? ???? ????? ???? TEDTalks.

• Dimitra Papageorgiou commented on May 20 2010

???? Justin, ?? ????????? ?? ?????? ???? ??? ??????? ????????? ???????????. ????? ?????? ? ???? ?? ???????? ??? ?? ????? ??? ??? ????????? ???????.

• Ay?e Seda Demirel commented on May 20 2010

Hi komshi!
    :D
    Great interview, good job and let’s keep it up!

• Dimitra Papageorgiou commented on May 20 2010

Hi there! Thank you very much for your kind comments. Let’s keep it up indeed! :)