TEDTalks

Two lightweight new ways to download TEDTalks

Posted by: Emily McManus

If you’re on a low-bandwidth or spotty internet connection, sometimes it’s easier to download a TEDTalk than to watch online through our streaming video player. This week we’ve rolled out two new ways to find and download our smallest, lightest — but still very crisp and watchable — video files for your favorite talks.

First, we’ve added the “Low-res video (MP4)” option on every Talk page. Clicking on the small “Download” button below the video player (circled in the graphic above) brings up this menu of options, which also include our regular-size download and our ultra-crisp but larger 480p high-res file.

Second, we’ve built this lightweight, text-only Quick List to let you bypass the individual Talk page and download a bunch of talks at once. The Quick List contains every downloadable TEDTalk in low, regular and high def. (If you’re curious why the number at the top of this list isn’t 1,000+, our Best of the Web series is streaming only. You won’t find Steve Jobs or JK Rowling on the Quick List, but you can watch them online anytime right here.)

We built these tools in response to feedback from TED fans around the world. And we always welcome your suggestions — hit the comments below.

• Fayçal Tchiko commented on Jan 15 2014

Hello,

When i download video, the translate (french for example) isn’t showed , why ?

• Stephen Babey commented on Nov 23 2013

How do I find a download? It’s supposed to be in the Desktop, but it’s not…

• commented on Mar 31 2013

On the quick list, can we add an option to show all talks on one page? Otherwise it takes some flipping through the pages to find the talk =)

Thank you!

• tony hicks commented on Oct 9 2012

Hi, during my semester break I built this app. I like it so I opened sourced it. Please feel free to use it and give me feed back! http://tedtalkdownloader.codeplex.com/

• Benjamin Virrion commented on Mar 10 2012

I think this is out of date. Downloading TED talks this way does not seem to work anymore

• Shane McRae commented on Dec 4 2011

Thank you, thank you for this. In Indonesia our internet connection is agonizingly slow and I love TED Talks. This is wonderful for us.

• Ian Turner commented on Dec 3 2011

I’m not seeing the download link for this talk, has it been removed? http://www.ted.com/talks/john_bohannon_dance_vs_powerpoint_a_modest_proposal.html

• Emily McManus commented on Mar 11 2012

This talk is only available as a YouTube embed — there’s no podcast file (yet).

• leigh morresi commented on Nov 5 2011

Annoying , the download link is now gone

• Emily McManus commented on Nov 5 2011

It moved to the left — just revised the screenshot to reflect it. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Benedikt Heinen commented on Aug 14 2011

The new download page looks great, thank you!

• David Scudder commented on Aug 14 2011

I am a Biology teacher in South Africa, and I like to use these talks in my lessons. Thank you for this – this is a godsend!