Education

Deadline extended to Monday, Dec. 5: Do you have a lesson to teach? Submit to TED2012: The Classroom

Posted by: Emily McManus

Deadline extended to submit your short video: Dec. 5! For our next conference — TED2012: Full Spectrum — we’re looking for 10 of the world’s best teachers to take the TED stage during a special session we’re calling The Classroom. We’re accepting video nominations to help track these people down. You can nominate yourself or a remarkable educator we should know about — who doesn’t have to be a teacher in the traditional sense.

How to nominate: Make a video or point us to an existing video, read the details below, and then nominate yourself or another person >>

After TED, talks from The Classroom will have a life online as part of TED-Ed, a new initiative we’re launching in 2012. With TED-Ed, we are creating a library of videos just for educators and students. The videos will be arranged using teacher-centric/learner-centric categories and tags, designed to help teachers quickly discover the perfect video for the lesson at hand. The videos will also be arranged into playlists to give students a multidisciplinary, immersive insight into a learning concept.

The talks we’re looking for will each:

+ be shorter than 10 minutes
+ contain informative material, not just inspiring messages
+ be delivered with a huge amount of passion for the topic
+ engage an audience from age 14 to adult
+ be something you might imagine a teacher using in the classroom as video to supplement a lesson.

We’re especially keen to include brilliant EXPLANATIONS, meaningful A-HA moments, powerful STORIES, indelible IMAGES.

Here are a few links to talks that fit the bill:

Vilayanur Ramachandran on mirror neurons

David Gallo shares underwater astonishments

This explanation of special relativity

Derek Sivers: Weird, or just different?

Now, a couple of notes about what we’re not looking for. For this session, we do not want talks about teaching methods, education reform or education in general. We are not looking for an inspiring, “go forth,” commencement-style talk. We do love those sometimes, but they’re not a fit for this session.

You must submit a short video to enter.

The deadline for nominations is December 5, 2011, at midnight Eastern. We’ll contact the speakers we’ve chosen with invitations (or more questions) by December 12, 2011.

TED2012 takes place February 27-March 2, 2012, in Long Beach, California. The Classroom session will take place on March 2. We’ll cover coach travel, good accommodations, and a pass to TED for those 10 amazing teachers who take the stage.

We hope you’ll share your best lessons (or teachers) with us. Good luck!

Nominate yourself or another person >>

• Jim Shultz commented on Dec 14 2011

Hi, I assume that you have made your choices for the Ted Classroom talks at this point. Will you be sending any kind of comfirmation email to those who submitted? It would be great just to know our submission from Bolivia did arrive. Thank you. Jim Shultz

• Kevin Brookhouser commented on Dec 14 2011

Hi Jim,

It looks like they’re going to make a decision and notify all applicants on Friday.

Good luck!

Kevin

• Jesse Black commented on Dec 13 2011

Hi Nick,

I had the same question. Will be looking forward to Friday. I wanted to confirm as well that my application had been submitted. Cheers!

• Sean Briel commented on Dec 13 2011

Aloha Nick,

My partner and I were hoping to confirm our application arrival as well? Thank you again and really stoked to see what spin you all take with this :)

• Nick Weinberg commented on Dec 13 2011

Grant, we did receive yours as well. Thanks for sending the addition links.

• commented on Dec 12 2011

I submitted two applications on Nov 30. Then I submitted them again because the video files at ge.tt disappeared. I really hope my applications went through. I uploaded my sample videos to Youtube (in case something happened with ge.tt again). Here is one of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKP0LbRFeVk&list=UURN8cQNpLs4wMYWkDmrPNiw&feature=plcp

• anurekha sharma commented on Dec 12 2011

I had also made the submission on 3rd Dec but, don’t have any idea if it was received
    Thanks
    Anurekha

• anurekha sharma commented on Dec 12 2011

Hi Emily, I have the same question as the one posted by Joe, is there any way to confirm the submission? Today is 12th Dec so if one doesn’t receive any reply, it means rejection? Am I right

• Nick Weinberg commented on Dec 13 2011

We did receive your submission. Since we extended our submission deadline, we will notify all applicants by Friday 12/16.

• Timothy Couillard commented on Dec 4 2011

Thanks Emily! I am putting together my application today and will shoot my video tomorrow after school. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity. -Tim

• Joe Bartin commented on Dec 2 2011

I submitted a nomination earlier this week, is there any way to confirm that it has been received?

• Nick Weinberg commented on Dec 13 2011

Hi Joe, we did receive your application for The Classroom. We will contact all applications by Friday 12/16.

• Timothy Couillard commented on Dec 2 2011

The deadline for nominations is December 5, 2011, at midnight Eastern. Sorry for the confusion. That would be late Sunday night not late Monday night?

Thanks,
    Tim Couillard
    James River High School

• Emily McManus commented on Dec 2 2011

We’d love you to apply by Sunday, sure! but we’ll take video submissions until 11:59:59 pm on Monday.