Technology

Announcing TED’s new Android app

Posted by: Tedstaff

This morning we’re thrilled to formally announce TED’s official app for Android, which lets you browse and watch 1100+ TEDTalks on a wide array of Android-enabled phones and tablets.

The new TED app for Android is built to adapt to all kinds of Android devices, including the new Sony Tablet P “dual screen” and the Amazon Kindle Fire, making it feel natural and familiar to users across different devices. You can find the TED app in the Google Play store and the Amazon Appstore for Android.

The functionality of the TED app is fine-tuned for the mobile audience, and allows for offline browsing and viewing, as well as audio-only engagement: App users who are out for a jog, commuting to work, or simply multi-tasking can listen to TEDTalks, either on an individual basis or through TED’s curated audio stream.

Features include:

Up-to-the-minute videos: TEDTalks are published daily, and Android app users can see the latest TEDTalks videos as soon as they’re available online.
Browse + search: Whether they’re online or off, users can browse the TED library – by theme, tag, rating or popularity – and search for a talk by speaker name or topic.
Easy sharing: Users who are inspired by a talk can share it easily over Facebook, Twitter or email.
Bookmarks: Users can mark and save talks for viewing later within their “My Talks” tab.
Offline viewing: The app is designed to support a mobile lifestyle, in which users move fluidly between online and offline use. Users can download video and audio directly to the device to watch on the plane or other locations where Internet connectivity may not possible. The full library is searchable in offline mode.
Curated audio stream: Out for a jog, multi-tasking, or just interested in listening, TED app users can listen to TEDTalks, either on an individual basis or through TED’s curated audio stream.

Find the TED app for Android in the Google Play store and the Amazon Appstore for Android.

And watch our promo video:

• Aamir Pervaiz commented on Jan 26 2014

very nice app i would like to add this to my android site Android Apk

• MaNi Cool commented on Oct 7 2013

Download Android Apps Games,Themes, Widgets, Launchers, Lifestyle, Security & Privacy, And Everything about android appd Free From Apkappsvilla.com

My favorite site

• Pingback: TED Talk app | aaron O Carroll Marketing

• Great app! I would only change it to allow users to sign in, so they are able to see their bookmarks and favorites in both (app & website).

• Daniel Davidson commented on Dec 2 2012

How can I sign in on Android app so I can find my “Favorited” talks?

• Seer O'Salomon commented on Oct 2 2012

How about syncing your bookmarks with your account on the desktop version? Everytime I log in on my pc I need to check back witch videos I had bookmarked on my phone….

• Daniel Davidson commented on Dec 2 2012

Agreed! We need that feature.

• Allison Ramsey-Henry commented on Feb 21 2013

Double agreed- this drives me crazy!

• James Dallaire commented on Feb 28 2013

Triple agreed. I posted about this about a year ago. Surprised this hasn’t been done yet.

• Skip Huffman commented on Aug 19 2012

Very nice, but I wish I could watch the videos in landscape mode as well as portrait.

• Skip Huffman commented on Aug 19 2012

ok, just watched the promo video and it shows people rotating to landscape. Is that a future feature? Or did I miss a setting somewhere?

• Skip Huffman commented on Aug 19 2012

ok i am a dummy somehow i had turned off auto-rotatation all fixed