Culture TED Books

New TED Book: When I’m 164

Posted by: Kate Torgovnick May

TED Book: When I'm 64How long do you want to live, and why? These are the questions that bestselling author and science writer David Ewing Duncan asks as he surveys the emerging science of radical life extension — from genetics and regeneration to machine solutions. In When I’m 164: The New Science of Radical Life Extension and What Happens If It Succeeds, Duncan considers the pluses and minuses of doubling our average life span. He explores the impact that living to be 150+ might have on our cities, social services and wallets, as well as what happens to love, curiosity and general health with a population that has lived well over a century.

“Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I’m … ”

Do you have the classic line from The Beatles song stuck in your head, too? Stay tuned to the TED Blog for a Q&A with David Ewing Duncan.

• commented on Aug 28 2012

It will be interesting to hear opinions from people who are 80 or 90 — i.e., closer to our current end-of-life decade. It’s easy to say you want extra longevity when your 30 or 40.

• Steven Rowles commented on Aug 27 2012

I would like to live forever, because life is good and could always get better, as long as I have good health….(YAHVISION)

• commented on Aug 19 2012

I’ve heard of cryogenic freezing for living longer, but I think it might be weird. If someone asks how old are you, the one thing you don’t want to do is say 164, most people are private about their age anyway.

• Jonathan Gunson commented on Aug 18 2012

RE the classic line from The Beatles song. Paul McCartney went past that point a few years back. When he recently appeared at the Olympics to entertain, a lot of the commentary on Twitter indicated that he looked and sounded distinctly past his use by date. I thought he sounded OK for 70.

• David Duncan commented on Aug 17 2012

Hey, check out the new website about this book – http://www.whenim164.com. Vote in the survey on the site, which asks the question: “How long do you want to live?” Compare your answer to over 30,000 others who have answers this question. Thanks! – David Ewing Duncan