Peter Weyland at TED2023: I will change the world

Posted by .

• Sadik Yakub commented on Jul 9 2012

The TED Talk is better than the movie

• Mani Raziani commented on Jul 4 2012

I guess we are the gods now!!
    Scientists claim ‘god particle’ discovery

• R Zylstra commented on Jun 18 2012

Oops, I guess I should have added this reference link, http://www.weylandindustries.com/investor , to my previous post:
    I don’t think I’m going to invest in Weyland Industries. Their Price / Sales Ratio is horrid – almost as bad as Dell’s and 5 times worse than Apple’s. And their financial analysts can’t correctly calculate their stock price percentage change – it’s stated as 0.018% when it’s actually 1.8%.

• Despina Yeargin commented on Jun 11 2012

Quite progressive! A 2023 TED talk in the year 2012. Wow!

• Edan East commented on Jun 11 2012

This is cool… I am going to see the movie today with my daughter… now I am more excited/interested… good job Ridley Scott… great idea to add TED in your movie about the future!

• Kevin Jacobson commented on Jun 10 2012

It would be nice if there were more people willing to change the world. Technology is advancing nice, but there are many other problems in our world.

• Percival Micó commented on Jun 9 2012

I can’t fathom where all this praise is coming from. The speech was hardly enticing, and in no way informative — it’s just recycling rotten babble that sophists like to spout nowadays. Scores of REAL TED speakers have done better. But the real issue is Guy Pearce’s risible attempt at caricaturing some vague archetype of what an eccentric and narcissistic inventor is supposed to be. For the record, the ancient Greek conception of divinity had little to do with this creating life business. What separated men from gods was immortality, eternity and insensitivity to hunger or fatigue.

• Roberto Di Donato commented on Jun 7 2012

Wow, he sure has aged a bit. Just saw him via the live uplink to the Prometheus – http://www.previewfilms.com.au/movie-prometheus-2012-1353.htm

• Yorkali Walters commented on Jun 7 2012

EPIC

• Stephen Griffin commented on Jun 1 2012

Love the look of the futuristic TED! Awesome.

• Chris Barron commented on May 19 2012

Explain to me how this talk lives up to the standards of TED, or have they gone corporate by 2023?

• Raymond Alvarez commented on Apr 28 2012

In my musings in my blog I wondered about a movie that had this important element. So, is it true that Peter Weyland’s speech is not an essential element? No harm, though. What would have more impact? An encounter with an alien civilization? Or discovery than an alien civilization is hiding within our own species? Guy Pearce is superb in this speech. I wondered, too, if Weyland is a cyborg.

• Adrian Bancilhon commented on Apr 27 2012

Guy Pearce plays such great bastards :)

• Andrew Underwood commented on Apr 15 2012

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.”

• T.T Chung commented on Apr 10 2012

Some speakers in TED has the very same hubris attitude.

• Rania Tohmah commented on Apr 2 2012

Discloser!!!!!!!!! be aware

• Petra Maricela Thompson Violetarojo commented on Apr 2 2012

Third times a charm:) Love this!

• Petra Maricela Thompson Violetarojo commented on Mar 27 2012

By all means change the world just leave my chest and earth out of it!

• Roel Zylstra commented on Mar 25 2012

• Robby Mason commented on Mar 24 2012

One more quicky for philosophy’s sake: Sir Peter prides himself on his motto, “If we can, we must.” If this has been our framework since the beginning, are we destined to follow it through to its end (possibly our species’ end as well)? Can we flip the motto to ask a question before ploughing into whatever next megadiscovery comes down the pike? ‘If we can, must we?’ If curiosity kills the cat, and satisfaction brings the cat back to life (to use the old idiom), are we metaphorically the cat? Have we used up some of those “9 lives”? Thoughts?

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 61,638 other followers