TEDGlobal 2010

Our century’s greatest injustice: Sheryl WuDunn on TED.com

Posted by: Shanna Carpenter

Sheryl WuDunn‘s book “Half the Sky” investigates the oppression of women globally. Her stories shock. Only when women in developing countries have equal access to education and economic opportunity will we be using all our human resources. (Recorded at TEDGlobal 2010, July 2010 in Oxford, UK. Duration: 18:23)

Watch Sheryl WuDunn’s talk on TED.com where you can download it, rate it, comment on it and find other talks and performances from our archive of 700+ TEDTalks.

• commented on Aug 18 2010

Huh?

• commented on Aug 18 2010

Maybe I just think this because I life in the Midwest, but I don’t think women have equal access to opportunities in America yet.

Crystal

• commented on Aug 18 2010

Her stories shock

• commented on Aug 18 2010

Great Talk!

• commented on Aug 18 2010

• commented on Aug 18 2010

Wow.what should i say? nice post!!!!
    i really like it ~~women=Half the Sky
    that’s right!!!
    tifmoonfany ( http://www.tifmoonfany.wordpress.com )

• commented on Aug 17 2010

Half the Sky was was of the most riveting, disturbing and ultimately inspiring books I’ve ever read. It should be required reading throughout the world. The injustices/atrocities against women and girls throughout the world are rampant. Kristof and Wudunn present a clear picture of what it would take to eradicate such injustice, and in the process, the world would benefit from the huge increase in human resources.

• commented on Aug 17 2010

Great presentation.

• commented on Aug 17 2010

I’ll definitely pass this along. Most of what she says can be applied to discrimination in general, against anyone for any reason (skin color, for example). Nice to know even a little can help a lot.

• commented on Aug 17 2010

Title Fail.

• commented on Aug 17 2010

Subversive that I am I was out doing program reviews at schools all over RI. At one school I got to review a business class. The teacher had them doing payroll in Microsoft Excel. But when it came time to do taxes she had them doing lookups on paper instead of integrating it in Excel or Access.

I brought up to the teacher that all Microsoft Office applications have what is called VBA or Visual BASIC for Applications.

BASIC is an easy language to learn. The issue in Microsoft products is to learn the object model of the application. But the teacher said that was a programming class.

The look on my face must have tipped her off since she immediately tried to recover.

Teach those kids, mostly girls, how to program. Who knows what you’ll get.

• commented on Aug 17 2010

Oh good, half the world. Yes, so long as they are not in sweatshops which WuDunn and her partner seems to support. Hey, aren’t they mostly women toiling in sweatshops?

• N TIMOTHY AHO commented on Aug 17 2010